Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #16
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Intel's spin on the problem: Side-channel Analysis
When they say "it must be running locally on a system" that sounds good and all...but something can be running locally on a system after it is downloaded from the web or malware is obtained by browsing a malicious site...yes?

What is the real difference between this security hole, or a hole in Windows itself (which as we know, has had MANY), that allows a malicious actor to capitalize on said security hole?

The only difference is, how easily and efficiently can the hole be closed. With Windows, it's usually a patch.

With Intel CPUs and chipsets, how do we close it? Not sure why a BIOS update would fix this...but I guess somehow it would?

So, bottom line, I'm not sure why everyone is going insane over this. There are Windows security breaches all the time...and they are patched. Windows is run by the majority of the world.

Now we have a security breach in INTEL chips...I suppose INTEL runs the majority of the world's computers.

Why is it somehow different or cataclysmic this time around?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 01-06-2018 at 11:13 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)