Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Lead changes.
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
the_fat_man
Veteran

DJ

Correct me where applicable here, as what follows is strictly empirical (based on my experience watching races).

To this point, I never really payed attention to the turn (in most cases, it's hard to see what lead is being used). It's clear in a 2 turn race that going into the 1st turn, horses are on their left lead. (Probably, subconsciously, I assumed the same on the 2nd turn.)

Question: can a horse navigate a left hand turn on its right lead? Or are instances of bolting (or just blowing the turn) an example of trying to do so?

Recently, I was watching the backstretch headon of a race at Aqueduct and one of the pace setters appeared to be trying to 'lay' on the horse to his inside. Upon more careful inspection, it became apparent that he was not being aggressive but rather it was his natural motion ---running (with his head) toward the inside. In other cases, I've noticed horses that run 'toward ' the outside. Never thought about it before but clearly (unless it's a soreness issue) the lead they're on plays a factor in these cases.

Been having this back and forth with JD in the Florida Derby Post
and his comments about noticing lead changes on the turn got me to thinking.

If you're correct, then the ideal 2 turn trip, for example, is one in which the horse starts on its right lead, takes the 1st turn on its left, runs the length of the backstretch on its right, takes the stretch turn on its left, and finishes the race on its right lead.

The topic also jarred my memory a bit: in the past I have heard of jockeys claiming that their mount ran the entire race without changing (is this crazy?).

This only serves to complicate things a bit more: noting lead changes, or the lack of, in the stretch only, without regard to what's transpired in terms of changes (or lack of) during the course of the race, is not comprehensive. Of course, this would not be a 'one shot' thing: one would need to be familiar with the running style/habits of the horse as well.

Gonna have to get used to the head on angle for the leads.

Very interesting.

Am I off base?

Last edited by the_fat_man; 04-02-2006 at 08:56 PM.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)