Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #35
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
And I, in turn, apologize if it offends the less informed among us...but a gambling game that can't hold on to its existing "older" customer base isn't likely to be able to attract any "younger" customers. In what other business can you say that "it is absolutely stupid and self-destructive" to cater to old customers...because "they get sick and die."? Isn't the old customer's money just as green as anyone else's?
It's just as green, but there is no future in old people.

Thask, we have been around this merry-go-round before, but you need to separate "what would be convenient for me" from "what is good for the long-term health of the sport". They are two different things.

To put a rather coarse point on it, we are in the midst of the Triple Crown. I don't know if you ever attend any of those races (I have been to the Belmont when a TC was on the line), but they are not marketed to you and what you offer to the sport, at all, and yet they make tons of money for the three tracks that put those races on. And if someone said Churchill shouldn't worry about all the fashionable wealthy young folks who come to the Derby and should focus on its older customer base of gamblers, that would just be obviously crazy advice.

It may be less obviously crazy with respect to other racing days, but it is still crazy.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)