Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
Teach

I was just looking at the long-range weather forecast for Philadelphia on
Sunday, November 17. The Patriots vs. Eagles matchup. Although it's still several days away, the weather forecasters are talking about the possibility of wet weather on game-day.

What impact -- if the weather forecasters are right -- will wet-field conditions have on the outcome of the game? That is a big question.

Let's first establish the facts. "The Linc" is a grass field. They go from Bermuda grass when the season starts to Kentucky Bluegrass by mid-season. What impact does the type of grass used have on the field? I couldn't say.

There are miles of heating pipes below the field. I wouldn't think that would come into play as temperatures are predicted to be well above freezing.

There is also this giant "sponge"-like device below the playing surface that sops up moisture from the field. How well this "sponge" device keeps up with rainy conditions? I couldn't tell you.

I would think that if the field is wet and rain continues to fall, it would increase the value of a team's running game.

In that category, the New England Patriots have averaged about 93 yards per game, rushing. That is in the bottom half of NFL team rushing statistics. Further, it seems incredible, but the Patriots average only 3.3 yards per rush (even the Jets rank slightly higher in the that category). The Patriots only major running threat is Sony Michel. He averages 3.35 yards per carry.

Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Eagles average a little over 127 yards per game, rushing. Their average rushing play produces 4.24 per carry. The Eagles best runner is Jordan Howard. He averages 4.41 yards per carry. The Eagles also have Miles Sanders.

I would think that if the game-day weather is rainy, it would be an advantage to the Eagles.

Another question: "What about Tom Brady passing the football if it is raining in Philadelphia?" Remember "deflategate." Will Brady have trouble throwing the football?

There's a lot to "chew on" here, but weather can most certainly affect the outcome of a football game. We should have a better idea on the weather conditions in Philadelphia as the days go by.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Last edited by Teach; 11-08-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)