Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 PM   #855
elysiantraveller

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Dude, sorry, but you appear to be suffering or Trump Derangement Syndrome.

I still agree with everything you quoted from me above.

I've said from day one that tariffs are a bad idea, but the goal of the Trump tariffs was only to get people to the negotiating table because no one was going to give up an advantageous trade position out of the goodness of their heart. Only liberals believe in fairly tales like that.

He's getting them to the table. That's alone is a greater success than all the recent presidents before him that sold us out to Wall St and dim witted globalists.

I still think totally free trade can't work well because countries still have vastly different regulations, tax structures, labor laws, and labor costs. They erect barriers, manipulate currencies (the monetary system is fvcked up) etc... Therefore there will inevitably be huge transfers of jobs and wealth (as there has been for the last 30+ years). It's not until everyone is in a similar position that it can start working as the theory suggests. The problem is that that may still be another 50 years away and we are getting gutted in the meantime.

However, to the extent you can renegotiate, remove other country's tariffs and barriers, you are improving your position and winning the deal.

I never expected the US was going to undo 30+ years of being dumber than a rock in 6 months of negotiating. That wouldn't even be smart. Neither side could adjust quickly enough to the reversal. It would be too disruptive. However, we are clearly on the right track now. We are trying to get countries to remove their unfair tariffs, barriers, etc.. by threatening them with tariffs. And since we are currently in the "deficit" position, they have more to lose in our market than we do in theirs. We just have to stand strong and take the short term hits from their retaliation until their pain so exceeds our own, they have to come to the table because it makes sense for everyone. If we weaken because economic pinheads, liberals, and Trump derangement sufferers can't stand a little short term pain for long term gain, then we'll blow our best chance in several decades to get on a healthier track for the country in trade.
So... the victory of getting them to the table was the issue?

They were already willing to go to the table. It's been cited a bunch in this thread.

Again this is manufacturing a problem then magically fixing it and claiming victory.

I quoted Tusk above... from March... they were more than willing.

You ignore that.

Free trade now is good... Clocker and I have been saying this for about 50 pages now.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 07-25-2018 at 11:01 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)