Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Trevor no good
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #200
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I think you're way off base with these comparisons. expanded gaming and about 3,000 other reasons are to blame for the decline in popularity. You're also comparing times when there wasn't many other options for gaming/sport and there was no internet. Essentially it was a whole different world.

to me it sounds like you just don't like announcers, which is fine, that's your opinion and that's fine. I'd be interested to do a poll amongst horseplayers and race fans on whether they'd prefer an announcer or no announcer.
I like announcers! As I said, I really miss Vic's calls. And Trevor has been a delight to listen to all these years. I also enjoyed Dave Johnson back in the day.

But... I don't think they are IMPORTANT to the sport. They aren't worth arguing about. They aren't worth going on the internet and having huge discussions about how this guy is terrible or this one made a mistake or whatever.

The essence of horse racing is about the competition and the betting. Announcers provide a function-- they allow people who can't tell what is happening to obtain some information about the running of the race. That's why we have them. But they aren't important to the sport-- which is confirmed by the fact that the sport did much better when the announcers weren't as skilled as they are now.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)