Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Here is a good recent example from Gulfstream (NOT GMAX, Trakus). They use a head on shot of the mile dirt races. The gate is always in the same place. I can't see the pole for sure but I know I can time from the gate and know if there was a problem, which there often is.

8-16:

R3
Official Time 1:35.93
Gate Time 1:37.10
Run up Time 1.17 seconds

R7
Official Time 1:38.77
Gate Time 1:39.06
Run up Time 0.29 seconds

There is no way in hell there can be that much difference between run ups when they are basically starting half a stride out of the gate. I've seen worse. There was one from Thursday where the run up time was actually a negative time, the clock started before the gate even began to open.

But in any case, lets pretend we're making speed figures and that we're using crude pars of 80 for R3 and 60 for R7. These numbers really don't matter, we could use anything.

R3 Raw Beyer figure from official time: 104, Par 80, Variant 24
R7 Raw Beyer figure from official time: 74, Par 60, Variant 14

Again, very crudely average the variants together to get a 19 fast variant, it gives us figs of 85 for R3 and 55 for R7.

Now lets use the real times:

R3 Raw Beyer figure from video time: 91, Par 80, Variant 11
R7 Raw Beyer figure from video time: 71, Par 60, Variant 11

Average the variants together to get an 11 fast variant, it gives us figs of 80 for R3 and 60 for R7. What looked like a 30 point difference between the races was really 20, but even worse it misrated both races. This is why figure makers care about accurate times.

Funny note, I completely made those numbers up and didn't realize the video time figures would work out as neatly as they did. That really wasn't the point, I knew the difference would be reflected because of how far off the times were. The "official" gap is 2.84 seconds, but the real gap is only 1.96 seconds. That is quite a difference. And the problems usually don't just affect one race if not caught, they affect multiple races.

Last edited by cj; 08-20-2020 at 11:24 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)