Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #39
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Are you speaking to me? I hope not.

I'm not for testing of employees as a condition for employment. (for MOST things).

I'm living in a town where there are 2 medical marijuana dispenseries, but most every employer tests for that.

I find this hysterically funny.

I met someone who went to school to be a home health CNA whatever you call them. He doesn't use pot, but he drinks. He just stopped drinking long enough to pass a test, which as I understand it, is a very short half life. (the pot takes around 30 days I am told, to leave the system and pass the test). Meanwhile the kid who drinks passes the test.

You think he's stopped drinking? He's a lush. He's drinking all the time. You can smell it on him. And he is now taking care of people. Everything will be fine..........until it isn't.

Employee testing doesn't seem to do a whole lot of good in most cases. Too many ways to get around it and you would have to test them weekly forever.
I employ about 40 home health CNAs on my staff and another 30 non-CNAs. You are misinformed. I am state and federally mandated to perform drug tests for opiates, meth, amphetamines, barbiturates, and marijuana. Alcohol is not tested. You can administer the tests via blood, urine, or orally. We use oral now because it's 10% of the cost of blood tests and for some drugs, it lasts longer in the system. We take it seriously. One rotten apple can destroy everything we have created.

All that being said, we know that people stop taking drugs long enough to pass a drug screening. We also have random tests, but I wouldn't call it effective in catching drug users. The most effective means to catch users and alcoholics is observation. Those people act differently than non-users. It's hard to explain but I'm sure everyone reading this knows exactly what I mean. You can hide your drug use and alcoholism during an interview but you can't hide the tell-tale signs long term. We weed (pun) people out that way and it's effective. It's called managing your human resources.

I don't want a compromised CNA going out to your mother's house any more than I want them going out to my mother's house. We are all responsible for our actions and inactions. I appreciate your jaded view of things, but like everything else in this world, it comes down to personal responsibility for your friend and the agency that hired him.

Last edited by tucker6; 04-22-2020 at 06:42 AM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)