Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Journalism goes out the door when forcing the presenters of the event to "buy on" NBC.
Well, it's one thing if it were either presented as an infomercial (one extreme) or the BC had the power that the Masters golf tournament does (other extreme).

But time-buys are very common in network TV, and as far as I know, the practice is that standards of journalism remain even when the time is bought by the event promoters, so long as the telecast is produced and presented by the network or syndicator rather than the promoters.

I remember being told by some industry "experts" back in the 1990's that they had complained to NBC and that if the Go For Wand scenario ever happened again, NBC wasn't going to show it over and over the way they did. And then Eight Belles happened, and NBC covered it exactly the same way they covered Go For Wand.

I think that television networks have a certain view about this issue, and they aren't changing their mind. Note that industry-controlled outlets (TVG and HRTV) are much less journalistic.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)