Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-20-2023, 09:52 AM   #269
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I didn't know that. Smullen was dating Tagg, right?

Obviously Empire Maker was going to be tough to beat coming off the rest, but it sounds like that didn't help.
the man is right.

i happen to go back with FUNNY CIDE when he was a yearling running around in a paddock at Joe McMann's farm in Saratoga. i had a mare that was bred and boarded there for about 5 years. i went to see the mare and foal and discovered what we were going to name FUNNY CIDE. i watched him for about an hour, he was a big powerful looking colt that was the leader of the pack amongst 5 or 6 horses in that paddock. i asked McMann how much he wanted for the horse, he told me it was owned by Winstar. he said they wanted $25k. for the horse. i asked him to see if they would take $20,000 before the sale. he called them and they said they wanted to run him through the ring.

i told my partner about him and he came down to see him 2 days later, then we looked at him again when he made it to the sales barns. Everard also likes the horse, and that's what we did back then, buy yearlings break them and get them ready for a 2 year old in training sale in Ocala. after gelding the horse, the light bulb went off on the horse. along comes Barclay Tagg to look at horses and the deal came off for $75,000 before the horse goes to the sale.

i am truly glad that these guys that rode around the country in a yellow school bus did so well. i was never going to be the guy that gets that horse to a big race, and they wound up winning 2 biggies.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)