Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I believe Charasmatic had a 105 or so before going off at over 30/1 in the Derby next out.

Beyer ratings since about 2003 have gone so far down in value, they aren't even a consideration for me anymore.
People obsess too much over Beyer numbers and other speed figures. Yes, we want to bet on fast horses and avoid the slow ones. But in the KD especially, how the hell are you going to accurately project speed with 3 year olds going 10f for the first time? And figs are contextual. Does it matter that Justify ran a 107? He's not running in that race again. After the Derby we're going to get the speed figs, and people may ooh and ahh over some horse or horses. Let's face it -- the same 20 horses could run again three weeks after the KD and the results would be different, maybe totally different.

The Charismatic Derby year...Based on his Beyer (maybe fastest in that field?) I put him underneath in the Ex and Tri but didn't have him on top. Why? Because freakin' Lukas put him in a 75,000 claimer and claimers don't win the Kentucky Derby! D'oh!

I'm still upset. lol
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)