Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #19
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlseeeek View Post
Horses run in the snow, and Arlington held a breeders cup, as did Woodbine.

I realize you west coasters are scared of the cold, but the horses actually love it.
Yeah, but the rich people who attend the Breeders' Cup like things a little warmer.

It's the same reason most college football bowl games are in sunny climates, and the Super Bowl generally (although admittedly not always) stays in warm weather cities.

And the BC, specifically, is pretty dependent as an event on wealthy patrons and sponsors. It doesn't get a lot of revenue from television. Obviously they DID go to Woodbine (and I had fun there), but when you are convincing the marketing people at Luxury Goods, Inc. to put up big money to sponsor your event, if their people, who don't necessarily care all that much about horse racing, are going to have to gallavant around in 39 degree weather, that's a negative. Same principle with convincing rich people and celebrities to come attend the thing.

Honestly, I don't really think they'd hold as many in Kentucky as they do if it weren't the historic center of American racing where a lot of the major breeding operations are located. It's just a lot easier sell to get rich people to come to California (or Florida, before Gulfstream remodeled and took itself out of the rotation).
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most