Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #351
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Ok then, why aren't you boycotting the tracks that give rebates instead?
I know this is a Keeneland Boycott thread, but as I stated earlier. Boycotting is going to do little for the growth of racing. The only point of it is to stop racing from making a bad model even worse. We as horseplayers (something you have no comprehension of) are in a already rough situation, expecially if we live in state where we cannot get rebates ourselves. So boycotting is not about making racing great again, it is about stopping racing from making itself even worse. As mentioned above this is just about the $20 burger jumping to $20.99 because In and Out is taking up all the market share. To the poster who brought up Red Slime burgers, I am not equating Keeneland to other racetracks, I am equating horse racing to other forms of gambling. I believe Blackjack and craps run at about 2% to 2 1/2% takeout, sports betting is around 4.5 % takeout, I think I have even read that slots even run at 8 or 9 % takeout. I believe fantasy sports are around in the 10% range. Poker I believe is in the neighborhood of 5%.

The advantage racing has is that it is beatable like sports betting and Poker and fantasy sports and Blackjack (for those who can do it and keep playing). The disadvantage is that racing doesn't seem to grasp that it's biggest selling point is that it is legal and beatable and easy to access. If it did it would make sure that everyone with a laptop, ipad or mobile phone who likes to gamble has access to the same competitive rates and the cream will rise to the top, the rest will settle in where they settle, the sharper players will bet more no matter what state they live in, everybody will do better and have more fun and the sport will see exponential growth over time. Then I wake up and I see racing 2017, a shadow of what it used to be when I had to drive for 30 to 45 minutes to play my local track, pay for admission and a Form(even parking way back when), spend the entire day at the track, have to wait in line to make a bet and hope I didn't get shut out and if I was really lucky I could get a decent uncomfortable seat on the weekend, without as much as a thank you or even a smile from any track employee.

As far as boycotting rebates, it can't be done. Anybody who bets serious money needs them to survive in this game. They don't make the rules, they play by the rules. But as many have mentioned, boycotting is done all the time by people who leave the sport, never to come back.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)