Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: The coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #51
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I had relatives (long gone) who experienced the 1918 epidemic of what was wrongfully named the Spanish Flu.
Over 50 million died.
That is hardly much ado about nothing.
Except for some major things, like the fact that scientists had not even discovered viruses in 1918. Thus, there weren't even any lab tests available to diagnose a flu virus.

And that the world population was about 20% of what it is today (hence the % of people who died would be vastly skewed).

And except that sanitation, simple hygiene practices most people use in modern society, not to mention good health care, sophisticated medical facilities, (with quarantine areas properly aired and top notch disinfectants) and antiboitics avaialble now to treat "secondary" infections that happen to people experiencing immune depression when they are really sick).

Medical knowledge and interventions are quite a lot different now than in 1918.

(Really, I have no idea why people put forth such ideas, 1918 and 2020 is hardly comparable ..... on any level )

There is little doubt in my mind that mom would be dead now from the H1N1 she got.....since she was also quite elderly at the time.....but we recognized her symptoms very early on, got her to a hospital, and she had every intervention available to modern medicine. If it were 1918, none of that would have happened.

Last edited by clicknow; 01-30-2020 at 10:26 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)