Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Backyard Patio
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2024, 04:44 PM   #17
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’ve done all of that over the years and owning 10 different houses. I think pergola’s are a waist of money. Here in Texas I built one and decided it wasn’t providing enough shade. In WV-Ohio it might be right but on really hot days…they are useless

Fire pit definitely outside the roof-pergola. I had a pergola with some plastic parts. Damn near caught the pergola on fire. Melted the plastic over time. I have had wood and propane fire pits. Propane is less work-lights right up and you don’t have to “tend to it”

My wife and I have had pavers and concrete. It depends on how stable your ground is. If it’s gonna sink-move around at all…go with concrete. Uneven pavers look like crap and can cause sprained ankles (don’t ask how I know) outdoor rugs on concrete allow for changing it up every couple years.

Concrete also means you can redesign later and it will hold heavy objects like a hot tub. I recommend you spend a little more and put a real roof over it. Pergola’s start to break down over time and can hurt resale value. A nice little roof allows you to sit out in the rain too….which I like to do.

I have a covered patio built into my house now with a nice 4 person Hot tub and a concrete floor. A fire pit on the 4 x 14 lip that protrudes out into the yard. Concrete holds up to our dogs very well and can be sprayed off with a hose or power washed. Pavers can change color over time

Just my .02
Great info. Was using "pergola" as catch-all term for patio roof. Really want sturdy and somewhat classy wooden roof constructed..support beams and all....maybe even with cedar posts to match my front porch pillars..backyard gets soggy, so you definitely have me considering concrete...

the thing is..whatever I do..I always go overboard..and enhancing the property is for sure a factor..
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)