Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 09:58 AM   #23
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The famous example from legal philosophy is HLA Hart's "No Vehicles in the Park" law. Does it apply to bicycles? Horse drawn carriages? Skateboards? And how do you deal with the ambiguities- do you have the park and rec department pass a regulation specifying a whole bunch of vehicles that are OK or not OK? And if it does so, is the public on notice of that?
I don't want to debate a lawyer on the law given my knowledge level is zero.

But intuitively (and possibly incorrectly) I think laws should be as precise as possible to avoid these issues. If something is not mentioned specifically, it should probably automatically be excluded. In your example, you should try not to use a word like "vehicles" specifically because it's so ambiguous some pain the ass lawyer is going to try to make it about something it's not. And if the intent was to include bicycles and skateboards etc... you should have put that in there from the start. If you accidentally excluded something you should go back to work and change the law if that's the will of the people. I think the system was set up to function fairly well, but it has become a disaster due to politics and badly created laws. Anyway, I don't understand any of this issue with HISA and I'm going to even try. I'd prefer to put my energy into the DD.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)