Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #47
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGroundhog View Post
I'm not sure there IS a solution to that. There is only a limited number of uses for a race horse. Even if you donate to an organization that rescues race horses they won't all be rescued. You can't just endlessly ship them all off to a nice grassy retirement farm.

If I were forced to present a solution to the problem I would place a limit on the number of horses that can be bred in a given year. Only breed enough horses that can be placed into use and retirement.

Of course, that would significantly harm the industry as a whole - but at least we could potentially eliminate the problem.
Fine...but you said earlier that it is easy to say 'somebody should pay for that, but it shouldn't be me'. All this "new money" has come into this sport via the racinos that the racetracks are now operating...and no move has yet been made to "improve the product" in any way. If something is to be done for the horse-slaughter problem, who should initiate it...and who should pay for it?

I pointed to the breakage and to the uncashed tickets, because these are funds that are WRONGFULLY taken away from the bettors...and you were quick to point out to me that these monies are taken away from the players "legally". Who pays to help with the horse-slaughter problem then? Should the takeout go up a few more points...so the problem could be aleviated without the racing industry having to directly pay for it?

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)