Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #152
MPRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
There was a time period of about 2 years when I used nothing but the Equibase figures. I used them daily, and I couldn't have been happier with them. As far as I was concerned...they were the best speed figures in existence. But then, a little over a decade ago, Equibase announced that they were "recalibrating" their speed figures, to supposedly bring them up to the same scale as the Beyers. You see...the Beyers would often go well past the 100-figure...whereas the Equibase figures seldom ever climbed that high.

I know you know what you are talking about thaskalos.

I don't know anything about Equibase altering their numbers to be in line with Beyers. If you say so, OK. But they arent even on the same scale. EB uses 80/number of furlongs to measure points per second and assumes closer to six lengths per second not five.

What I do know is that Beyer changed the Beyer speed figures in 2015 and all of a sudden his method is proprietary and he's not telling you how they are made now. This renders all those books he wrote; Picking Winners, Beyer on Speed, his sf charts etc; useless unless you just want to learn a way to make your own figs from scratch.

I'm sure both figs are useful. I know the EQB ones are. I consider EQB better though because they provide a first call pace figure. In addition the Equibase Track Digest has class ratings which takes the figures and compares them to the class they were earned for a very consistent rating.

It's nothing to me if someone prefers one over the other, but Equibase PP's or figures are not garbage as I read on this thread.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)