Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
Haha yes that's true. I'm used to looking at PP's the American way, in neat tables. Racing Post takes a few months getting used to in that regard.

With narrative I meant the way they describe the race and the overall performance of the horse in the PP's. They don't exploit the power of speed figures as well as Americans do but the flip side is that the attention to different handicapping approaches is more evenly distributed.

The one thing I love about British racing is how it forces you to have a deep understanding of the sport. Comparing speed figures is never, ever enough if you are handicapping a British race. You have to be able to think what the trainer is thinking, know the configuration of the track, understand the Official Handicapper's role and where he makes mistakes, the large effect of the going and (sometimes) the draw, etc etc.
There are more variables and the information isn't as robust. So for a full-time player, isn't it easier to make money in the UK than in the states? Note I said for a full-time player, not a novice.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)