Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
Nitro

I also disagree with the entire narrative because the quoted sayings (and most of the responses) seem to imply an effort to find value with individual entries for purposes of playing them to win. I’ve never thought of myself as player who attempts to simply “Picking Winners”. I would prefer to characterize my involvement as an endeavor to make "Winning Plays". This will of course include those pre-race tote observations to determine if the results of making any play that will result in a reasonable profit margin.

I’ve never had a problem including a short-priced entry among others when playing the variety of Vertical exotics that are available, or even when making a 3-entry Dutch Win bet. The bottom line for me is always the relationship between a known hit frequency and an anticipated profit margin. This is based on a quick examination of a combination of the odds of the selected contenders and the amount necessary to cover the entire bet properly. If either component shows a marginal outcome the race simply becomes a pass.

This has proven to me to be a significant facet in improving the overall hit frequency %.

Although I generally try to maintain a disciplined approach, I will admit to playing an Exotic now and then with a low hit frequency, but only when the anticipated profit margin is substantial. This applies primarily to playing Supers.
Every once and while that always tempting Siren song will play in our mind in order to entice us to attempt snatching that excessive Profit. Those womanly-birds certainly know our human weaknesses in the betting area.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)