Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #20
rubicon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
If there's a horse I like and there's a heavy favorite in the next race of the double:

1) If I don't like the favorite and see an upset, this is best case scenario, toss the chalk and bet heavily on my horse in the first leg with horses I do like in the second leg.

2) If I think the favorite has a good chance but don't love it, I'm probably passing the double and betting my horse in the first leg another way.

3) If I think the favorite is a lock, if the projected double payoffs are worthwhile, I might bet the double with just my horse and then the favorite heavily, to make something out of a "free square" plus my decent-odds horse. Sometimes a win bet makes more sense though, depends on the prices.

From my experience, I agree the double doesn't support savers in the way you mean, EXCEPT if I'm alive to a nice payoff (this is all relative but let's say I hit the first leg and all my doubles in the second leg are paying $100 and up) I might bet some exactas with the favorite on top just to be sure I at least get my money back. Of course this is technically and mathematically wrong, but it helps at times to have insanity insurance.
Thanks Castaway, yes I do something similar in that if I hit big in the first leg I will sometimes hedge my bet with other potential horses that I did not have in the second leg just in case the race shape totally collapses. Also too many times in the past that first leg longshot does not hookup with my second leg so these days I place win money on the longshot(s) so at least I can recoup and at least in those cases I won't have to say "gee I shoulda bet that longshot...".
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)