Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #14
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I recently read a steward explanation that a foul out of the starting gate is somehow less flagrant than a foul commited later-on in the race...because the impeded horses out of the gate supposedly still have enough time left to "recover", and "run their race". It may have been the stupidest comment that I've ever read.
I see their point. In most cases that's true. I guess you can say it's not true for the absolute-must speed horses, but they can't DQ only the ones who take a speed horse out of their game. There'd be too many DQs (which no doubt gamblers would often disagree with) if they took down all the horses who break into another at the start. The jockeys probably have less control over the horse at the break than at any time.

Put cameras in the gates to see if the jockey steers either with the reins or with his body if there are flagrant or repeated fouls out of the gate. Reins should be even and the rider centered at the break.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most