Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #21
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
State law says that the Preakness can only be run in at another track in Maryland (i.e. Laurel) "in the event of an emergency or disaster".

If it is moved out of state, it basically kills the Maryland Jockey Club (all race dates would be revoked). And if the rights to the Preakness are offered for sale, Maryland has the right to match any offer in order to keep the race at Pimlico.

https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...ection-11-520/

Although if Frank just decides to move it to Laurel and say "do something about it", then the question is how much is this law really worth. Would the state still revoke race dates, killing the Preakness and cutting off their nose to spite their face? Doubtful. Most likely that first part of the law is changed to allow the race to run at Laurel.

But if (or when) Stronach does move it, it'll be to another Stronach track, and that track will be Laurel. No way they'd let it go to somewhere like Keeneland, no matter what the price is. I'd also think that CDI would balk at another Triple Crown race coming into their backyard.
Thanks for the information.

I agree, this is the only thing probably keeping the tracks alive so it makes no sense to move it out of state.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)