Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
LottaKash

An assist with equipment....

I meant to give you my take on what I use as "meaningful" equipment changes, along with assessing a horse's chances when he is a "fresh-horse" or a BPQ-PP horse....I just got sidetracked, is all.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the time it isn't ez to get access to any equipment changes that may have been made to a particular horse, so this is a tough issue in that regard... At some tracks they have a little endless "banner" going on on the bottome of the tracks's monitor thruout the card, and they will declare any new or different equipment addditions or changes....It pays to know what tracks give you that info, because there are several equipment changes that I "religiously" look for when I try to spot a live horse, one that is on the improve and hopefully gets this "very-positive" trainer's signal in the process....So, since we are on the subject of fresh horses and BPQ horses, "equipment-changes" are a good way to, perhaps, get into a "trainers'' head a bit more....

Hopples.....It was taught to me that, when a horse gets a hopple-length increase, that a trainer is telling us that his horse is able to extend a bit more, and by letting out Approx 1-3/4' to 2-1/2 inches, it will allow the "improving" horse a realistic chance to show more tonite.....Of course, most times, but not always, tightening the hopples by about as much decrease in length, is a signal that a horse is having a tougher time fully extending, and is ready to hurt himself if left unchecked....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bridles....Bridles are another way to perhaps get into the trainer's head as well...When spotting those live ones that are on the improve or have another "serious" trainer's-angle going for him, a "bridle-change" may be a key factor in all of this....When a horse goes from a "Blind-bridle" to an "Open-bridle", this is often a signal that this horse will not be leaving tonite, and perhaps he will be a grinder or late closer in tonite's event......On the other hand, when a live horse gets a "Closed-bridle" coming from an "open-bridle", this is often enough, a signal that they will be sending this horse tonite, and right to the front or close to it, and alertly at that.....I love this bridle change the best (going to a closed-bridle), as often enough, this improving horse will be very "well-meant" tonite....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lasix.....I think "1st-time lasix" may be good for some horses on the first try, but usually when I find an improving horse, It means more to me on the 2d or 3d GO.....Mostly when you see a horse that is improving and he is just coming up a bit short in his most recent race or two, 2d-3d time lasix may be just what the Dr. ordered, especially if he is fresh or a BPQ horse, and if you combined that with a bridle or hopples change....Watchout !....

That's it, I am going to get slightly "wasted" tonite.....Happy New Year to All-"dark-siders".....

best,

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)