Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Honor A.P.
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 12:07 AM   #30
dryrunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
I assume there must be at least a few nicks experts around here... Any thoughts on what types of brood mares might be best suited for Honor A. P. from a genetic standpoint?
DISCLAIMER: I KNOW FULL WELL I AM NOT A NICKS EXPERT. But any time you're talking anything A.P. Indy, there's at least one major given you should be able to take for granted--and that's the nick with mares descending from Mr. Prospector.

So I did a little research tonight using the top 25 2020 sires in the U.S. at the moment (according to Blood Horse). Perhaps I can do the same with prominent sires in Europe, Australia, etc., another time.

For reference, here is Honor A. P.'s pedigree: https://www.pedigreequery.com/honor+a+p. As you'll see, he only goes back to Mr. Prospector once, on the sire's side, in 5 generations.

I'll break them down into four categories based on Honor A. P.'s pedigree: 1) 3X5 linebreeding with mares descending from Mr. Prospector; 2) 4X5 linebreeding with Mr. Prospector mares; 3) Mares from largely outcross sires (where Mr. Prospector is at least 4 generations out would would be a 5X5 linebred to Mr. Prospector or where Mr. Prospector is not represented at all in the past 5 generation; and 4) Linebreeding to A. P. Indy., which for some reason unbeknownst to me beyond an undescended testicle, people seem to be reluctant to try. The number before the sire corresponds to their current 2020 sire ranking at Blood Horse.

3X5 Linebreeding with mares sired by grandsons of Mr. Prospector:

4. Speightstown mares
5. Curlin mares
12. City Zip mares
22. English Channel mares
24. Lookin at Lucky mares

4X5 linebreeding with mares sire by great-grandsons of Mr. Prospector:

7. Munnings mares
8. The Factor mares
16. Street Sense mares
19. Quality Road mares
20. Twirling Candy mares
21. More Than Ready mares

Largely outcross opportunities:

1. Into Mischief mares (which would also line up to Storm Cat, which many people are also reluctant to do--I gather for soundness reasons)
2. Uncle Mo mares
6. Midnight Lute mares
9. Candy Ride mares
10. Hard Spun mares
13. Goldencents mares
14. Mucho Macho Man mares
17. Kitten's Joy mares
23. Medaglia D'oro mares
25. I'll Have Another mares

Linebreed to A. P. Indy himself:

3. Tapit (3X3)
11. Constitution fillies (3x4--I nearly left him off the list because his oldest progeny are only 3 years old, but some of his fillies will be hitting the breeding shed in 2021)
15. Bernardini (3X3)
18. Malibu Moon (2X3--too tight)

ANOTHER DISCLAIMER: Again, I apologize that this is largely U.S.-centric. But I wanted to start with a small, manageable pool of stallions.

Last edited by dryrunguy; 09-15-2020 at 12:16 AM.
dryrunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement