Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-23-2023, 07:09 PM   #16
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
With all due respect to the software authors who still frequent this board (Dave Schwartz, Jeff P, Ted Craven, etc.), why does it seem that nothing new has come out in YEARS...
Quote:
It probably isn't worth it any more to create a new software program anyways with the declining market for such things. Probably more of a hobby thing for someone good at programming.
Quote:
Anything customer facing that has to do with racing data in North America, Equibase feels that is their data you are developing off of. Therefore there is no development community in racing or it's extremely small. Literally a handful of people in the entire country who have intimate knowledge of how racing's data works.

I've worked for many different stakeholders in racing and the data costs are insane for everyone. There is not a lot of room to breath if you have an idea and want to develop something. Years and years of not offering machine readable licenses to developers at reasonable development prices has basically put a big fat sign up saying "Don't bother".
All of these are right on the money.

(note: And if you think data is expensive here, you should see AUS. To get csv data comparable to what most would consider 2nd tier here, would cost you over $2,000 USD per month!)

Despite all of that...
Almost 4 years ago I committed to building something really new and innovative.
In that time I've spent almost 1,200 hours developing new stuff, but always I become convinced that it was just too complicated.

Early last summer I started completely over again - for the 4th time. I committed to simple, simple, simple.

The challenge is that a Real Solution is, by its very nature, COMPLICATED!

Tossed it for the 5th time in October and began again.
We all know that the damn game is hard.
That's why so many people are resigned to enjoying the play rather than the results.

Incarnation #6 is a different beast.
Way different.

First, by default it uses NO DATA.
What? How is that even possible?

As soon as I have a solid beta, I'll put up some screenshots.

The first (very early) beta goes out to one person tomorrow.

The Handicapper's Notebook is coming.
Really.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)