Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #109
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
^ I'm a sports bettor who loves horse racing, but looks at it as another entity that provides me with entertainment during spots or lulls in the year otherwise, precisely due to Quinn's point and what everyone knows (the essentially double vig or more that horses carries over sports).

Do you think the decision which is likely to overturn PASPA will cause a large consolidation effort around the states? It's clear historically, as you and Quinn suggest, that any type of action (up til now just gambling expansion out of Vegas in general) will hurt horses, which then causes a negative feedback loop by tracks with further bad decisions affecting takeout and as a result, handle.

As a big racing day guy, I hope at least the great parts of the sport are maintained, of course. The SCOTUS moment/decision on such an unconstitutional law has finally arrived.

avgolemono
Those who think that sports-betting will be confined to the premises of the racetracks have their heads stuck in the sand. Sports-betting is too big of an enterprise to be restricted to being a "partner" of a dying industry like horse racing. Soon after sports-betting is legalized, it will be swept up by the internet world...and it will be offered widely in a myriad forms. The "illegal" sports-betting websites currently offer "live betting", where the bettor can keep betting as the game goes on...and, take my word for it, this provides more betting "action" than any sports-fan can handle. The days where you placed your sports-bet and waited for 3 hours to know if you won or not have been over for a long time.

IMO...sports-betting and horse racing cannot peacefully coexist. And...it doesn't take a genius to realize who the casualty will be.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)