Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
As a small machine shop owner I damn near died laughing at all the inaccuracies in that article. It is so full of crap it almost isn't worth commenting on. Just another anti gun liberal talking about things they know nothing about. An average Joe is not "manufacturing" a gun with a milling machine or 3D printer in a couple hours in their garage. They are buying parts and assembling them. I own a couple of those CNC machines they mentioned, your average person could not even figure out how to turn one on in a couple hours let alone make a gun with it.
Also making barrels is a very specialized process, the machines that do the rifling are highly specialized and usually customized for each model they produce.
The legal essence of an AR-15 is the lower receiver. This is the part that has a serial number and is subject to regulation. All other parts, including the barrel, are unregulated and readily available on the web. An unfinished lower receiver, called an 80% receiver, is not regulated and can be finished with the proper machinery. A CNC machine with software designed to finish an 80% receiver is available for about $2000.

I have no personal knowledge of this process. I was aware that 80% receivers were legal and unregulated. I was curious about ghost guns and this is the information I found on the web in a few minutes. As could anyone that wanted to build a gun.

This is an 80% receiver:

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)