Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Religion II
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #10193
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
By "logical" I'm assuming Boxcar to mean "metaphysical"-the aspects of reality that are not captured by quantifying them.

It would be incoherent to say that "11:00 P.M. on March 16th, 2019 precedes 11:00 P.M. on March 15th, 2019.

I understand Boxcar to be stating that since "Tomorrow becomes Today (Tomorrow undergoing the changing, actively proceeding backwards), ergo the future precedes the past" captures metaphysical reality.

It seems to me if he were metaphysically consistent, in his scheme "Tomorrow" has the potential to become "Today". Potentials can only become actualized by something else already actual. So "Today" is actual, i.e., the efficient cause of tomorrow, therefore precedes tomorrow, congruent with chronological time.

I think it's bad metaphysics, for reasons I mentioned responding to his post to me. I've accumulated many significant sources/references in metaphysics, and I've never seen this, but maybe I missed something.
However, it does not follow logically that Today causes Tomorrow! For who can say with certainty that there will be a Tomorrow after Today? It is not necessary that Tomorrow follow Today; for it isn't necessary in the first place for there to be a Tomorrow. However, if there be any Yesterdays, it is logically necessary that they follow our Todays. Today has the potential to be become Yesterday just as Tomorrow has the potential to become Today. But by the same token, it is not necessary either that there be a Tomorrow; for Today could be the end.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)