Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 12:28 PM   #95
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
My apologies if this is a bit of thread drift, but why do the stews even bother interviewing the jockeys when there's a foul claim?

The video should tell the whole story.
If one jock happens to be a more eloquent speaker he/she may be able to sway the decision, esp when we have so many jocks to whom English is a second language (I'm presuming they speak to the stews in English).
In my experience I've found it very beneficial speaking to the jockeys. Of course for the most part they can be expected to advocate their position. Not always (Russell Baze).

What I found beneficial was often they would have me look at the films in a different way. It lead to seeing things from another perspective. It's amazing how often I didn't see something very important until the 6th or 8th or whatever number of times I watched the same incident.

Needless to say the jocks have a unique perspective that I can't possibly have.

I always felt the more tools I could use to make the best possible decision the better.

I tended to frustrate my fellow Stewards in that I was VERY slow in finally deciding. However, I felt a few extra minutes was best to be completely sure.

Well as sure as any Steward can be. Remember the vast majority of decisions are 100% subjective. A qualified opinion.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)