Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Tax Reform
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #29
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
More serious question, how does the current tax system work?

Do you even know what tax bracket you are in, or do you just accept what is as what is?

A "flat" tax is just that. You make X amount of money, you'll be taxed at X rate. Nothing more, nothing less. For the vast majority of Americans that have a job, family, etc. that means 25%. I guarantee that is 10% less than you paid last year.
My wife and I reported a 6 figure retirement income in 2016 and our overall federal tax rate was just under 14%. California added another 3.75%.

I can't imagine that there is a single American who paid an overall tax rate of 35% much less the majority as you suggest. Maybe on the last dollars earned but certainly not on every dollar.

I think you might misunderstand the current progressive tax structure where you pay no taxes on the the first dollars earned and then higher rates as you earn more.

A flat tax where you pay the same rate on a $8000 yearly income as you do on $8,000,000 would be devastating to the majority of Americans which is why it has never gotten any traction outside of Steve Forbes.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)