Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Elliott Sidewater

NY state of mind

Yeah I played it once in the early years, probably 1974 or 75. Got blown out of the contest early, but stayed anyway to see it play out. Back when NY didn't run during the winter, busloads of rude crude new yawkers used to come down to Liberty Bell in the late 60's and early 70's to play the cheep hawses. Cigar smoking, partially intelligible cursing, and flinging losing tickets is what I remember the most.

Anyway, I happened to be seated next to a NY guy in the contest and he lasted longer than I did. I liked talking to other players back then, because I was still learning. I had a horse in the last contest race that I loved, and mentioned it to my new buddy, who was stuck for a considerable amount of real money after blowing out of the WSH. The horse won for fun but was bet down from 8-1 on the program to 2-1 and paid $6.60 to win. The NYer practically went nuts, chasing after me literally screaming that the horse didn't pay enough. New York horseplayers.....unbelievable.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most