Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 10-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #11
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
Thanks for the links, Augenj. Against my better judgement, I've bought components and struggled with a new PC build the last couple of weeks, and Linux support for the Skylake CPUs is lacking. I've gotten one flavor to boot up with plenty of errors, but it's going to be a while before my flavor of choice is usable.

So, I've purchased Windows 10 Pro, and will have a go with it. If nothing else, I'll be curious if the license key will allow me to run it as a virtual machine.

I find this defies reason. The company which has had dogshit security since Day 1 logs your keystrokes? There ought to be a law......
The license key shouldn't care whether its in a VM or not but if it's just one seat on pro then you'll only get one or two activations out of it. I've setup and messed around with 10 a bit at work lately. During the install I typically leave it unplugged from the network initially, it'll then complain and prompt me with the option to create a local account which is what I prefer anyway. Then I go ahead and plug it into network. I also don't choose express setup. Seems a better idea to opt out of all that and instead toggle off all of the tracking and phone home crap it wants to do. I leave the location awareness on but that's about it. The edge browser renders pretty fast but seems a bit rough to me. They're rushing things and figuring they'll push out updates. I'm in no hurry to run this at home, perfectly fine with Win7 on my desktop. Win7 is good on the desktop, Win8 was bad, 8.1 got quite a bit better than 8, and then I suppose 10 is a bit better than 8.1 (start menu-wise) but I'm not impressed with the whole deal.

Last edited by MJC922; 10-15-2015 at 06:16 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)