Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 05:16 PM   #42
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I only remember Renaldo Nehemiah out of that group. I would be real curious
what combine skill test was the best indicator of future success per position playing in the NFL. I think bench might be important for O-line and D-line as O-line now can grab and hold. Grabbing and shoving someone out of the way
I would think someone benching a lot would be good at.

Personal experience, I benched a lot back in the day. I got in a fight at the finish line at Santa Anita with some 6'9" 300#+ drunk dude. I have a liberal friend in Cali that will back up that story. As he was talking crap to me, as the cool customer I am, I am plotting strategy for a fight. I was 6' even and a solid 220#, amateur boxer with a solid chin. As I am trying to decide between a head shot (you lose power the further you punch above shoulder height) or a body shot, the SOB swings on me. Major windmill punch, I ducked a punch, for the first time in my life.
After his whiff and with his back to me I gave him a shove, he went flying to the ground and collapsed a couple lawn chairs. He did not get up so I just walked away. I think no way in hell would I had been able to do that if I was not good on the bench. Same thing with college football, pushing people out of the way is just like benching.

I will say the bench is the most important combine event. I kind of wished back in the day I would have tried to see how many times I could put up 225. I played HS and College football before the combine was installed.
225 was just a warm up weight.

PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)