Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 09:03 PM   #16
tbwinner

I owned from 2009-2012 and had horses in the summer and fall months at AP/HAW where I lived and some at Penn. I had better financial results from my Penn horses but focused on Illinois because I lived there. So yes I agree with the assessment that claiming owners outside of major Leaguers that are at multiple circuits (thinking like a Mike Maker owner) are racing where they live. Training costs in IL were same or slightly higher than Penn but Penn had higher purses(and honestly lesser competition).

One thing I'll say about training costs / day rate is only one part of the equation. Some trainers may charge a seemingly lower than market rate but charge supplements or extra charges. Some trainers rely heavy on vet work, others maybe use more old school methods and rely less on Nsaids/joint injections etc.. And yes higher % barns generally command a higher rate. Workers comp insurance etc will affect rates in certain states (NY example). Most trainers don't make money on their day rate but their commission...lots of variables, do they charge same rate for 1st-5th purse $$ or different rates for win etc... I don't know if you can tie purse money to training costs accurately enough to classify tracks as suggested.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)