Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
BarchCapper

Would love to see consistent ROI calculation in racing media

When I watch/consume racing, depending on the source, I might get:

A) An ROI based on a $2 wager with the $2 wager included as part of the ROI (using the total return). This number will never be negative. The lowest it can be is $0.00. (Example: ROIs on NYRA's "Talking Horses")

B) An ROI based on a $2 wager that does not include the wager itself. This ROI can range from -$2.00 to +???.?? (Example: BRISnet's trainer statistics)

C) An ROI based on each $1 wagered, with the $1 included. (Example: can't point to a specific one, but have heard results expressed as something on the order of "you get back $1.23 for every $1 bet")

D) An ROI done the way I've seen most "standard" investment ROI expressed (where you can't lose more than your original investment). Nothing would go lower than -100%, and the positive could obviously go as high as warranted. (Example: STATS RaceLens when Christina Blacker posts an ROI for an angle)

Side by side confusion examples:

Trainer Jones wins 1 race in 4 starts with a mutuel of $10.00
NYRA: $2.50 ROI
BRISnet: 0.50
That guy: "Returns $1.25 for every $1 wagered"
STATS: 25% ROI

Trainer Smith wins 1 race in 5 starts with a mutuel of $8.00
NYRA: $1.60 ROI
BRISnet: -0.40
That guy: "You get back 80 cents on the dollar"
STATS: -20% ROI

I would like to see racing move towards the more "standard" way of expressing ROI (of course others may tell me that I'm mistaken and that way is not so "standard")

Last edited by BarchCapper; 11-16-2021 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)