Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #77
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
This trip down memory lane certainly reminds me that I am getting old.

Caliente - the only reason to go there was to bet at their foreign book

Pomona/Fairplex -Only went there a few times. The meet was sandwiched between the Del Mar and Oak Tree meetings so it was a good meet to avoid to get some R & R.

Hollywood Park - For some reason HP was my best track for betting. Loved the Friday night racing.

Bay Meadows - Loved the Friday night racing there, too.

Longacres - Only went there 1 day, closing day for the track. It seemed like it was about an hour and a half between races but all-in-all probably one of the funnest days I have spent at a racetrack.

Santa Fe Downs - My brother was getting married in Albuquerque so couldn't resist the temptation to drive up to Santa Fe.

Centennial - Was able stop there while on on a post-college graduation trip. Don't remember much other than drinking great quantities of beer.

Aksarben - Been to Nebraska many times visiting in-laws. Probably the nicest most pleasant people I have ever experienced working at a racetrack. The tellers would thank me every time I made a bet.

Lincoln Race Course - Learned here that a racing form was worthless. Just follow the tote.

The Woodlands - Can't say anything memorable about this track.

Jefferson Downs - a second track visited on my post-college graduation trip. Can remember a 2 hour delay in racing due to a big thunderstorm that I thought would surely cancel the card. A very social atmosphere where betting horses seemed secondary.
Caliente - I fell in love with racing there as much as Del Mar. We'd go Saturday and hope to make enough to stay overnight and not have to deal with the border. GREAT race track motel right across the street. Las Campanas.

Pomona/Fairplex - Loved gambling on that bullring. Was a 1/2 mile before they expanded to 5/8th's. If you did replays on races run the first week when the horses ran back. It was like free money. Even before Martin Pedroza who IMO is the greatest bullring rider ever. There were jocks that were very special. Corey Black, David Flores, Paco Mena.

Hollywood Park -

Bay Meadows - You're right Friday night was very cool. And it was the only time the drive home to the East Bay wasn't 2 1/2 hours.

Longacres - Captain Condo!!

Ak-Sar-Ben - Called the last race ever run there. Didn't know at the time it was the last. GREAT times. Was like Oaklawn is today.

Woodlands - Called the first 5 years there. Had two separate Grandstands. One for horses. Another across the parking lot for Greyhounds.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)