Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Small tracks
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #15
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
First track I attended and actually WAGERED, was the old 4 furlong bull ring at the LA Country Fair.. A COMPLETE ROOKIE, I bet speed all program and wound up with the (regrettable) belief that I had figured out the entire game .

Lo and behold, I then attended the inaugural Oak Tree at Santa Anita using what I thought was the "secret" I had discovered at Pomona...I got wiped out financially before the 6th race cleared. Thought it was a singularly Bad day, but after repeating the same experience over and over at Oak Tree, I began to study pace in earnest

What year was your Pomona debut? I loved that place, I first went in 1980.
With Southern California not opening OTBs till the mid 80's. I had a half dozen years enjoying the novice money the fair brought in as admission was free after you paid at the fair gate. We would go hang out in the beer garden watching college football and discussing the races before first post.

As for Santa Anita the winter meet had a strong speed bias for couple weeks at it's start in 1986. Other than hitting pick sixes that was the best week I ever had.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 11-11-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most