Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 PM   #230
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
ok poker fans we're back from vacation and our next action finds us in a humble 1-2 game at Hollywood penn national.

in a recurring theme it takes FOREVER to win a hand in this one, but QUEEN HIGH finally drags a small pot and we're on the board!!

with AK I raise a couple limpers to $11 and one of them hangs around to see a flop of:

A T 3.

the villain checks and (although i'm primarily a bettor) I actually check back here before betting another $11 on the turn.

the villain calls my $11 and leads out $22 on the river.

something doesn't feel right here and I just call.

villain: 33.

big ace. flop ace. lose.

this just happens again, and again, and again, and again, and again........

"nice check back on the turn..... you lost the minimum," one kid at the table says.

i'm getting a lot of experience at that.

too much.

thank you for reading.

game -85 (1/2)
year -2001 (47-51)
bonus 0 (695)
One of my weaknesses that I hope I have done a much better job of correcting recently is to not overvalue TPTK or TPGK (with Aces being the pair). Players at 1/2 and 1/3 are typically straight foward and as a whole don't bluff enough at the proper frequency, particularly on the river. For the villain to lead out on the river with a $22 bet meant they had at a minimum of two pair (with an above average chance that Aces are one of those two pair) rather than trying to bluff or get to a cheap showdown. The big red flag here was the villain's turn call, which was then confirmed by the river bet despite being out of position). As difficult as it is to do (especially when one is getting very few if any playable hands), IMHO it is +EV to fold against this river bet unless you had at least another pair to go along with your Aces.

The villain of course did get lucky despite going set mining in a heads up situation, which IMO has to be significantly -EV given the bet size. If they consistently do this, they are great to have at your table.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)