Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #18
Gasser57

So as many here may already know, it looks like the Jockey Club and NTRA are perhaps the leading advocates for horse and jockey safety. I found the Jockey Club's Equine Injury Database - http://jockeyclub.com/default.asp?se...vocacy&area=10 - and found some interesting info. While all tracks have the opportunity to participate and make their data available, most don't even though it's free.

Here's NTRA's map of tracks that are Safety and Integrity accredited according to their standards - https://www.ntra.com/safety-integrit...itedfacilities.

A quick comparison suggests most of those who report on the injury database are also NTRA accredited, although Churchill Downs is a notable exception. Also, it doesn't appear that the tracks on these lists necessarily have the lowest number of fatalities. For instance, Del Mar had over 3 per 1,000 starts last year - almost twice as many as when the database was started in '09 and about double the average for all the reporting tracks.

When time permits, I'm going to use these resources as a starting point to see if I can create some sort of green/yellow/red list that might provide those like myself who are unfamiliar with a track's safety record with some reference in case they want to steer clear of tracks with poor safety standards.

Last edited by Gasser57; 01-03-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Gasser57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement