Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #27
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What distances use the first finish line?
The second line can't be changed because the mile races can only start where they do now.
Tom, I should know the turf rule, but I'm not sure.
On dirt, everything usual (6f, 7f?, 1m1/16th, 1m1/8th are run 'first finish line'), with just the 1M using the 2nd fin line.

/
the 1m laurel races are one of my favorite race configurations because of the 2nd-fin line.

Some of you have lodged valid complaints and suggestions, so this isn't meant to be a contrarian opposing thing. On the contrary, I respect those ideas and opinions.

The reason I like the LRL 1M is that the length of stretch is longer than most racing. I have in my notes 'about 1400 feet'. I can't vouch for exact accuracy but fundamentals are significant. For an extreme contrast, randomly grabbing the Oaklawn 1M first-finish-line stretch out of the hat, which I have noted as 'about 800 feet'.

I enjoy track biases. A fair or less-biased race is cool to me if the field size is large and the pace is significant, but in general biases fuel my interest in looking for unique and ... biased stuff.

I'm the guy whining when track x builds a chute or goes 'poly' and runs less races at ridiculous starting-gate/turn configuration.
(A single finish line approach is also going to create some starting-gate configuration biases or require the build of a chute on most main tracks).

The best part (to me) about the lengthened stretch being a bias or unique quirk, is that it occasionally calls into play some positive qualities of a horse like solid fundamentals and stamina. Unlike some biases where the starting gate is in an awful position, or where the rail is gold/dead, a long stretch occasionally rewards good horses and reveals some additional info.

It's not a utopia. Some cheap races are run. Sometimes the paces are reserved. Sometimes it rewards a trainer/vet/ownership gang. A few times a year it opens the door for a goof-up or worse.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 08-22-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)