Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 05:05 PM   #2
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHLADSTABLE View Post
The biggest issue in my mind is not moving forward without Aqueduct, but how does NYRA keep the product fresh for 10 months per year at Belmont post-2026 so that Saratoga still has that feeder environment. [Context : When Roosevelt closed, Yonkers became year-round and tired. When Bowie closed, the Laurel/Pimlico circuit became tired. We need solutions to that "tired" concept, new building or not.]

Some ideas and out-of-the-box thinking about this specific issue follow.

[1] Eliminate Winter Racing Outright - Close the New York racing season in mid-December and do not reopen until mid-April. Personally, I love the winter season (at Aqueduct) however maybe there are better options than winter racing.

[2] Invest/Purchase an Auxiliary Lower Cost Venue - Perhaps a crazy idea, but what if NYRA were to buy Finger Lakes, Vernon Downs, Monticello Raceway, or another instate venue as a throughbred facility? While bucking the consolidation trend, is this investment viable for lower level races? Could such an investment be the Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday venue while "classic" NYRA offers the Friday-Saturday-Sunday menu?

[3] Partnering - This is always a tough thing for state institutions to enable, but is there an inter-state partnership available to create a reasonable circuit? This might enable a non-compete clause where "we do not race during your dates, but you do not race during ours". This requires much more thought - but it is a thought.

I might get skewered for these ideas, but I am trying to solve the "ten months at Belmont" problem. We just came off one season of this feeling at Aqueduct and even Talking Horses mentioned the time issue.

Are there other ideas out there?
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Tuscan Gold VS Catching Freedom