Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
[I]The store owners in other states are watching. It’s time for players everywhere to send a clear message back to the store owners. It’s time for players to start speaking with their wallets.

To me, the fact that other states still have takeout even higher than California’s new 23.68 percent takeout on trifectas is irrelevant . California is where the store owners decided to raise takeout over the objections of the players. California is where the CHRB ignored the facts related to the Los Al takeout increase. California is where the track owners, the TOC, and the head of the CHRB lobbied the Legislature for a takeout increase. California is where the Legislature ignored the voice of the player and passed that takeout increase. California is where the Governor ignored the voice of the player and signed Senate Bill 1072 into law. California is where the owners of the store made comments like the following after they enacted the takeout increase:

CHRB Commissioner David Israel:

CHRB Commissioner Keith Brackpool:

I hate to use the word boycott, but in my opinion the owners of the store in California clearly no longer deserve even one penny of my business.

I have to put the question out there to other players:

Has the time come for an organized national players’ boycott of California racing?

Jeff Platt
President, HANA

Jeff,

I am for a "suspension of play" in some form but I have some questions and some points to make about it because I do not take it lightly and nobody else should take it lightly.

First of all you have got to know you're going to be successfull. If you're not sure ( and you know what I mean by "sure") then it might not be a good idea. You have to be 99% sure that handle will drop. A 10% drop is not enough. I would consider that a push. A 15% drop or more is significant and 30% drop would be the top that I could imagine.

Just because players say they want to stop betting in California doesn't mean they will. Getting a committment for someone who almost never plays California Racing is worthless. You have to know that people who really play California racing on a daily basis are going to stop. I also think that if someone wants to only bet WPS and that's the best they can do then they shouldn't be bashed for doing something. We want the exotic pools to drop significantly. Betting offshore is the other option.

Are you 99% sure we can get a drop of 15% or more?

What is the end game?

Is the goal to get them to rescind the raise in takeout or is the goal to get Santa Anita to not implement the raise in takeout? I think there is a difference.

If Santa Anita committed to offering a low takeout exotic wager in their menu would that be a sign of good will on their part?

Remember this isn't really a Santa Anita driven thing. The TOC and the CHRB are the primary villains.

The comments by Israel and Brackpool are asinine. They could give a flying crap about Horse Players. Maybe part of the deal is that they resign.

I am for some type of action prior to Santa Anita opening. Maybe in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by andymays; 09-28-2010 at 05:02 AM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement