Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #30
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Why have you so far only taken a stand against further increases to direct takeout rather than for lowering them from existing exorbitant levels? Does an optimum pricing point for rebates already exist?
Call me naive if you want. Last January I thought that because the CHRB was considering a takeout increase for Los Al they must not be using all of the information available to them such as case history from other forms of gambling, racing industry funded economic studies, etc. as part of their decision making process.

I thought that by getting actively involved and giving them input they would open their eyes and start to realize racing is a customer driven business. I thought that given access to relevant information they would start making decisions based on the same criteria that successful businesses with a profit motive do... such as identifying customer needs and wants and then making an effort to satisfy those needs and wants.

Looking back I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only were they aware of racing's paid for economic studies and case history from other forms of gambling - but they were purposely choosing to ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
jp,
How is this takeout increase expected to affect rebated players? Would you be of the same mind if the bill also removed the ADW cap and permitted access by all ADWs?
The problem is that racing has S O O O - - M A N Y things wrong. Where do you start?

In my opinion the ADW cap is one of the worst things the TOC has ever had enacted. Instead of the intended effect: supplementing purses - The adw cap has driven a significant amount of money offshore where it does nothing to supplement purses.

If you walk into a store to buy a loaf of bread and see that the bread is stale and that it is overpriced you walk out and buy it somewhere else.

If you contact the owner of the store and let him know in a reasonable and intelligent manner the reasons you and others are not buying his bread - The next time you walk into the store you should have at least some expectation things will have improved. If not and you recontact the owner, and he tells you what you can do with your ideas about fresh loaves of bread at competitive prices...

At some point you HAVE to consider the possibility the owner of that store no longer deserve your business.

That's as accurate a description of the problem in California as I can present using an anology.

And it's exactly where horseplayers find themselves right now.

Indy, if the bill contained a measure to do away with the adw cap as well as a measure to increase the takeout it would still be a bad piece of legislation and HANA would still be against it.

It's crystal clear to me now that a different approach is needed.

-jp

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)