Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Greyfox

"Comments and Questions"

I haven't answered the poll yet for several reasons.

First of all, I think the poll itself shows the pollster's bias:

Yes - put all take out rates out in the open for all to see
No - the state of California loves the mushroom theory

The nature of comment behind the "No" selection, will automatically discourage respondents to select that option. The results will not be valid, in my opinion.

Secondly, what is the "Motivation" for the poll?
Is it to educate the betting public? If so, why don't most of them already know the current rates?

Is the motivation to drive away customers? Certainly some bettors who don't know the rates would consider lowering their plays or not playing at all.
Is that good for racing?

Thirdly, I'm guessing that the poll question implies that we are all in favor of lower take out rates. If more people knew the rates, more would put pressure on the Administrative types to lower the rates. Ultimately, the tracks would consider lowering their rates.

Sure, I'm in favor of lower track takeout rates, as most of us are here.
I'm also in favor of tracks posting their rates somewhere in the building and on the program. Beyond that is "overkill" and likely a "turn off" to some bettors.
Some of them may walk away and never say why.
Having them "in the face" of the bettor every time he goes to a teller or every time he looks at his ticket is not my idea of an improvement to the game.

I may vote later, but that's what I'm thinking now.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)