Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Purse Money
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
northerndancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling
It is my understanding that purse money is awarded 1st thru last.My question if you are one of the top jockeys trainers maybe you will not try as hard to win top money.This is one hard handicapping angle to figure out.
If I find out or determine that a jock is not trying to improve their position while on one of my horses that jock will at least get a penalty (lose a quality horse for a few mounts) or be banned from my string of horses. The bottomline is if your jock perserveres with your horses and improves his position by one placing that really adds up over the course of a year.

The standard payouts of the purse are 60% win, 20% for 2nd place, 11% for 3rd place, 6% for 4th place & 3% for 5th place. At some tracks (most of them with slot revenue purses) will pay a standard starting fee for a horse that finishes 6th and back to last. For example that fee at Woodbine is $400. This fee is to cover the cost of the jock mount as well as starting fees, gate fees, lasix, etc.

Therefore is the purse is $25,000 and you improve your finish position from 4th to 3rd the owner ends up with an additional $1,250. That will turn a losing month into a profitable month for most horses (assuming $2,500 per month cost factor).

If I catch one of my trainer trying to give one to a horse to cheapen his form or to put a bad race on the horses form then that trainer can find himself new horses to put in the stalls that my horses currently reside as the horses will be in a new place.

Drives me wild to see a jock stop riding a horse when they realize they can not win the race.
northerndancer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)