Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: No Dozing
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #11
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcaris
Mastery is undefeated in 3 starts but because of his broodmare sire, Old Trieste, I would not think of him as a sold contender in the Derby at 10 furlongs. Old Trieste was best going in sprints and middle distances.
Although he had a world of speed, Old Trieste never won a sprint race. All his victories were around 2 turns. He set the fastest one mile fraction in Kentucky Derby history (at least at the time he ran in it...Songandaprayer might have gone faster) coming after an unheard of 6f workout the week before in 1:09+ (I'm not kidding).

His only other attempt at 10f was in the 1999 BC Classic, in which I believe he raced in bar shoes as his feet (as is typical of many A.P. Indy-line horses) were a huge issue and had halted both his 3yo and 4yo campaigns. His 9f races at Hollywood Park (the Swaps and Californian) were absolutely sensational performances, winning both by the length of the stretch.

Mastery himself might be susceptible to foot issues from a heritable standpoint. Not only is the A.P. Indy line famous for bad feet, but so are those descending from Candy Ride.

Beyond that, Mastery has some stamina deep in the pedigree. He is from the family of Jump Start and Miswaki. Jump Start is the sire of 10f G1 winner Rail Trip and Argentine HOY Idolo Porteno (currently in the US). Miswaki sired BC Classic winner Black Tie Affair and Arc winner Urban Sea, who is even more famous as the dam of both Sea The Stars and the reigning world champion sire Galileo.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)