Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: IRS memories
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
FakeNameChanged

Back when I was in high school, we had a week or two where they brought in a tax consultant and taught us how to do income taxes. So my Dad, who owned several income properties in addition to working as an Ironworker, made me his tax guy. The 2nd year doing them I told him he couldn't deduct certain things for his business, or at least not the amounts he was claiming. He said put it down, meaning deduct it. These arguments were pretty heated.

The next year I went away to college, and he did them himself. The IRS informed him he owed around $500 more, and that was sizable number back then. Mom sort of did a "he told you so." So he laughed about it, but he never did them himself again. The following year, he was pleased to get about 350 back, so it almost evened out.

I'm still doing my own with different online software. At one point I also owned income properties and used to go away to our cabin for the whole weekend to get them done and keep my family safe from the language that was being used.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most