Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Remember When
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2023, 04:57 PM   #92
Half Smoke

of course way before my time, but anyway, Jack Johnson was the first black heavyweight champion

although, blacks fought whites in the ring, they were not allowed to compete for the Championship, until Johnson chased Tommy Burns all over the globe to get his shot - Johnson crushed Burns

married to a white woman, his boldness infuriated white America

after he became Champion the great writer, Jack London, wrote an article calling for a "Great White Hope" to step up and win back the pride of the white race

London wrote - "Jim Jeffries must now emerge from his Alfalfa farm and remove the golden smile from Jack Johnson's face. Jeff, it's up to you. The White Man must be rescued."

even the New York Times got into the act - they wrote - " if the black man wins thousands and thousands of his ignorant brothers will justify claims of much more than physical equality with their white neighbors"

in what was billed as "The Fight of the Century" Jeffries was knocked down twice in the 15th round and his corner threw in the towel

the aftermath of the fight triggered race riots all over the country - many whites felt humiliated by the defeat of Jeffries

ironically, Johnson grew up in the South with a gang of white boys as his friends - he said " I grew up with white boys as my friends. I ate with them, played with them and slept at their homes. Their mothers game me cookies and I ate at their tables. No one ever taught me that white men were superior to me.

what a great story - here is the vid of Johnson defeating Jeffries

Last edited by Half Smoke; 02-25-2023 at 05:00 PM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)