Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #12
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
headhawg,
Although somewhat correct, not entirely.
Motherboards and CPU's, were designed with specific OS's in mind.
Attempting to put XP32 on one the latest quad-core (perhaps even some very older dual-cores) does more harm than good.
Attempting to put Win10 one a machine designed for XP32 is nearly impossible.
Either I don't understand what you mean or I will respectfully disagree. It's a matter of economics. Why would Intel or ASUS care what OS Microsoft is trying to sell? Those companies are trying to sell processors and motherboards. As long as the OS code could compile correctly it will run. M$ would need to be concerned about new CPU instructions, but that's what the compilers are for. Motherboards are tied to the CPU/chipset but not the OS unless it can't be compiled. So your XP machine might be safe as it may have a CPU that isn't on the Spectre/Meltdown list. I can assure you that I can run XP (both 32 and 64 bit flavors) on my current machine which has a Core I5 Ivy Bridge processor. Win8 would have been the current OS at the time that CPU family was released so I fail to see how your explanation is valid.

Last edited by headhawg; 01-05-2018 at 06:38 PM.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)